Thursday, February 21, 2013

Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed

2 little monkeys jumping on the bed
1 fell off and broke his arm!

Yup!  Even as I was lecturing the boys about how Sarah fell off the bed while jumping when she was 3 and cut her head open on the corner of the nightstand, ending up with a staple in her head, they continued jumping until Nathan fell off crying and holding his arm.  Do any other mothers feel like their constant warnings to their children fall on deaf ears?  I hope we learn some lessons before they get their driver's licenses.

Nathan's arm didn't swell so I hoped he had just bruised it.  We waited 2 days figuring if it was indeed broken then he'd be fussy and wouldn't sleep well.  But our tough little guy never complained except for twice when I forgot to be careful while dressing him and putting him in his car seat.  I was still worried though because he wasn't using it, so I thought I better get it checked out.  The doctor was doubtful and I know I looked like a paranoid mother.  But he said, "I guess you're here so I'm assuming you want an x-ray."  The x-ray technician was doubtful because Nathan let her manipulate his arm for different poses.  And then the x-ray came back and sure enough he has a good buckle fracture.  I wanted to yell, "HA!"  Don't doubt a mother's intuition!  Except for a couple of grouchy days because he was annoyed with his cast, Nathan has been a trooper and seems to have a high pain tolerance.  His biggest inconvenience with the whole thing has been switching from sucking his left thumb to his right.

I took Nathan with me to Walmart last weekend.  We just so happened to get a cart with a broken strap.  As I was checking out Nathan would NOT stay seated and climbed all over the cart.  The lady behind me in line glared at me sending subliminal messages like, "Gee, with an irresponsible mother like you no wonder he has a broken arm at such a young age."  Instead she just said, "That's the tiniest little cast I've ever seen."  Oh, well.  Let her judge all she wants.  Having a child like Jonah is helping me get over what other people think.  I know the real situation.

So everyone feel free to use our injury to teach your kids a lesson:  no little monkeys should be jumping on the bed!  They can fall off and break their head, or arm, or a variety of other appendages!:)

1 comment:

Circe said...

Nuthin' worse than condescending docs. Unless it's broken arms! Moms know stuff. We have nothing to prove, right?! Hope he feels better!