Jonah won't sleep!!!
He takes good naps, and goes to sleep at night pretty well. But once that middle-of-the-night time approaches he's awake for 2 to 4 hours at a time! He NEVER cries (for which I'm VERY grateful). But he's so loud! Jumping around, banging on the walls, laughing, giggling, talking, singing, you name it and he does it. I just can't figure it out! It's pitch black in his room, he's in a crib with no drinks or toys except his beloved doggie. What could possibly be SO amusing in there? I've checked a million times to make sure his diaper is clean, which it always is. So why won't he stay asleep? I don't go in a entertain him. There's no way I'm going to reinforce THAT behavior.
So now I'm begging all my mom-friends for help! Have you ever had a 2-year old with insomnia? Any ideas of what I can do? I've done everything I can think of to adjust and play with his schedule and nothing helps! This has been going on for 9 months! And we have a baby on the way, so I need him to share a room AND be in a big boy bed. But there's no way right now he can do either! Can you imagine him out of bed and on the loose or keeping a sibling awake that long too? One grouchy child everyday is plenty to deal with!
So please, send me your ideas, suggestions, and expertise! I'm desperate!

6 comments:
Oh no! It's so good that he doesn't cry, but how frustrating that must be for you! I'm sorry that I don't have any suggestions...if only there were a way to figure out what it is that is waking him up. Hopefully it doesn't last much longer :)
Oh man, I don't have any suggestions. Maybe put him in a far corner of the basement! ha ha. Or pray that he grows out of it fast! At least he doesn't cry. Maybe if he didn't take a nap? I know, I know, moms NEED two-year-olds to take naps! I'm stumped!
It sounds drastic I know... but if you want the name and number of the BEST sleep doctor for kids in the state, give me a call. She is seriously the best doctor we have been to and believe me.... we've been to A LOT.
Good luck. I hope tonight you all get to have sweet dreams!
I'm so sorry! I've struggled with sleep issues, too, but a couple of things come to mind. You mentioned checking his diaper -- have you ever gone a night without going in his room at all? Obviously you're not playing with him, but hearing you check at the door, or seeing you peek in on him, might be just enough of a pay-off in his cute little mind. (Just witness how nursery kids can use "diaper authority" to get to their parents at church!)
Maybe he'd play all night even if no one noticed. I say that if he's safe, and not trying to climb out; if he's not waking up the other children; and if you can set up bed yourself where you're not disturbed by his night-time jaunts, there's not much you can do but let it happen -- and try to get some sleep yourself! Sigh. If he tries to climb out, that of course is another issue.
I don't know what Jonah could find so amusing, either. :)
Does he take more than one nap a day? I truly wish that my two-year-old took even ONE nap, just for my own sanity. I guess the tradeoff is that lately, we get Samuel in his pajamas, then let him join the rest of us for reading in the family room. He eventually announces, "I'm going to bed," because he knows that he's tired.
Jeff's dad is a pediatrician. I laugh that all Jeff's grown-up siblings still refer to Benadryl as "Christmas Eve medicine," because that's what their dad gave them to guarantee sleep. Hmm... although, a side effect in some children is greater excitability.
Never mind!
But seriously -- maybe your doctor could recommend a low-dose antihistamine or something.
I know that you've had a few overnight getaways in the last few months. (Lucky you!) Does Jonah get up in the middle of the night then, too? Because if he doesn't, maybe you could enlist your sweet husband to help make it appear you're going to be gone for the night. Just an idea. Good luck!
As irony, Samuel just woke up crying. Look at my time stamp.
Amanda - I have been in your shoes! :) My No. 2 started doing the very same thing at age 2. And, by the time she was 3, she would only sleep 3 to 5 hours a day. I went through dr. after dr. And, finally was sent to a sleep specialist. Anyway, call me. I can help you through it. Now, No. 2 is a great sleeper!
Nyquil. 'Nuff said.
Post a Comment