Monday, September 20, 2010

Jonah's Funny Little Ways

Jonah has become obsessed lately with some very specific routines. I don't know if it's a stage he's going through, or if this is his way of having some control of his environment with a new baby in the family and in a new house. I vaguely remember Jacob having very specific routines around this age, and having some intense obsessions. Maybe it's part of how boys are wired? Anyone else have kids like this? So I'm documenting it on my blog since I think it's so cute (you're all going to think we're nuts and like we've lost complete control of our child), and I've almost forgotten about Jacob's and I want to remember this! When I go through the routine with babysitters, I swear they look at me like I've completely lost my mind . . . which is very possible. But the routine makes Jonah happy, so we indulge him!

Going to Bed routine:
-- The room must be clean (anything not belonging in the room Jonah tosses out into the hall) and the closet and bedroom doors MUST be shut.
-- He has a drink from his GREEN sippy cup and sets it on the shelf on his changing table, where it MUST remain all night long.
-- He turns on his music CD of bedtime lullabies.
-- Read him Jingle Bells while he's sitting in his Thomas the Train chair that's set under the window and next to the books.
-- He puts the books away, gets another drink and turns off the light BY HIMSELF.
-- He lays in bed with his head just touching the top of the bars with Turtle facing downward on his right side and the "Other Doggie," as he calls it, facing downward on his left side. He must have his favorite Doggie to snuggle with.
-- His blanket has to lay carefully over him without being flipped over or under anywhere.
-- He needs another quick drink and the sippy cup has to be placed directly on the shelf (I swear I don't know when to wash that thing), followed by a kiss good night and an "I love you."

All of this happens twice a day, at naps and at nighttime. Maybe it doesn't seem like much, or maybe you're thinking we are going to have serious issues with this child. I, personally, think it's a phase. If this routine gives him comfort and control in a household that often feels out of control, then I think as a middle child he deserves that. His intense personality makes for intense up's and down's, but we love our little Jonah. And the up's are so worth it!

1 comment:

duncandoings said...

I think nearly all of our 2yrolds have had their little rituals (ESP. at bedtime, which they love to draw out for as long as possible!!) I'm just impressed you have it memorized AND contained (it must be all the sleep!!!!!)--Anne keeps trying to add on to hers--first just her blankey and 2 stories, then (esp. if she has a new sucker putting her to bed!)-a drink of water AND 3 stories, not 2, AND a song please, etc., etc.--I'd sleep cozy too w/ a Mom close by that remembers the details of my preferences!