Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Spring Break Trip

As spring break approached I thought about how we never take any trips.  Our poor kids.  I told Brandon we needed to plan something simple and fun and create some memories, gosh darn it!  So when we saw a deal for a hotel in Logan and knew that it coincided with Baby Animal Days up there, we decided to make the long whole one hour haul for our adventurous trip!  We invited Nanny and Papa to come along with us because everything is always more fun when they're around!  On the way up we stopped at McDonald's for lunch.  My kids thought they were eating like the royals, but we knew that poor Nanny and Papa were lowering the out-to-eat standards to the lowest depths.  They were just happy to be along and didn't complain one bit!  Then it was off to Baby Animal Days with a couple thousand of our closest friends!  Yahoo!  We had no idea it was such a big event!  The kids got to stand in line to see lambs, stand in line to see goats, stand in line to see calves, stand in line to see baby chicks and ducklings, and stand in line . . . well, you get the idea.  We stood in line to see just about everything.  The crowds became a little annoying, but the kids didn't complain too much and had a blast.  Jacob entertained trying his hand at mutton bustin', but when we went to sign up they were full.  I think both Jacob and I were a little relieved as we watched other parents sign waiver forms not to sue for having their children trampled by some very large sheep.  We watched a few of the kids try to ride the mutton and more than a few got stomped on and limped out of the gate crying.  I never take enough pictures, but here are a few.
 Sarah tried to love the lambs, but was a little weary of all of the animals.  Brandon would say this is my fault for not allowing pets in our home thus instilling fears of all animals in our children.  Oh well, if that's my one flaw as a mother then so be it.

 Nathan LOVED the goats.  They were pretty cute!

 Even Jonah loved the goats.  I guess I haven't completely ruined my children after all.

 You can't see them, but there are some peacocks back there, including a beautiful white albino peacock.  Jacob and Jonah were waiting for them to show there feathers and got bored.  It's amazing what boys can think of to do with sticks!

 Oh, I forgot to mention that we also waited in line to see BABY BEARS!  This picture just doesn't do them justice.  They were SO cute!  The lady in front of me wouldn't move so this was the best shot I could get.  There were a lot of bears too!  And no, you couldn't touch, pet or hold the bears, but you could look!

After seeing the animals we hit Nanny's favorite pizza place from college for dinner.  Then we went to our hotel.  It's been a long time since we stayed in a hotel and the kids thought it was a penthouse suite!  We went swimming in the indoor pool and then back to our "suite" for baths, junk food, and a movie.  The kids thought they were in heaven when uptight Mom allowed them to stay up late, watch TV AND eat chips and candy!  The good thing was by the time we went to bed they were all so exhausted they all fell right asleep.  I was up most of the night, however, because I was sharing a bed with Sarah who pushed, slapped and kicked me all night.  Man, I knew she was a crazy sleeper but I had no idea it would be THAT bad!  She's a maniac!  The kids were sufficiently grouchy the next day, but they're still talking about their memories and good times from our trip to Logan.  Jonah says every night that he's going to have happy dreams about going to Logan.  That makes it worth it for me.  Good food, good company and good memories are what it's all about!

1 comment:

Amy said...

This sounds like so much fun! I love reading your posts, you always crack me up. Sorry you had to share the bed with sarah! Lol