Friday, April 6, 2012

The Pessimist and The Optimist

Something happened the other day that was so characteristic of Jacob's and Sarah's personalities that I found it hilarious!

First, some background.  At the beginning of every month we give Jacob and Sarah an allowance.  In addition to their allowance and regular jobs they are allowed to do extra jobs to earn extra money.  And because we're such mean parents they have to pay 10% in tithing and put 60% into savings.  This leaves them with only 30% left to keep . . .  which makes saving money for a desired item a long and sometimes very painful process.  We want it to be hard so they get a sense of delayed gratification and work hard for what they want.  Plus it's a good way to start saving up for missions and college!

So, now that you're all mortified at out meanness, onto the story.  I was settling up money with them last week.  Jacob is saving up for in line skates which cost $40.  After all of his money was totalled he was up to $34, only $6 away from his goal.  He was so frustrated that he didn't have his money NOW and threw the mother of all tantrums which is frustrating to me because, gee whiz, he's 8!  How long do tantrums last?  "I'm NEVER going to have enough money!  I HATE tithing and savings!  My FRIENDS don't have to do this!" etc.  Honestly, the drama pent up in that child is truly amazing at times!

Sarah, on the other hand, is saving up for a deluxe package Generation Doll from Target costing $30.  Her total is up to $13, still very far away from her goal.  However, upon hearing of her total she exclaimed, "Oh!  I'm getting SO close!"

And there you have it!  Jacob's and Sarah's personalities in a nutshell!  I feel like I will forever be working with Jacob on combating his pessimism, while Sarah is a ray of sunshine and happiness wherever she goes.  I hope some of her optimism rubs off on Jacob and not the other way around.

2 comments:

Asherbie said...

Too cute! Sounds like Megan and Madeline as well! Except we're working up to like $5 items max. :)

Amy said...

Justin and I got a pretty good laugh from this! Thanks for sharing!