Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Funny Sayings of Children

I find it hilarious some of the things my kids say as they try to attach meaning to the new words they learn. Professionally speaking, they change the words and sounds around so they fit into their existing knowledge. It's through repeated experiences with new information that they understand things correctly. This is called scaffolding. Here are some recent utterances from my children:

Jacob - "I just love the show 'Little House on the Fairy!'" (like on a fairy boat? - now THAT would be a completely different show!)

Jacob loves to write on his "paper holder" (clip board - he came up with the other name himself - it makes sense, as least!)

Jacob - "Where's my 'minder?'" (his BINDER - but if anyone knows where I can get a real MINDER, I sure would love one for each of my kids!)

Sarah - "Let's go to Health E. Cheese's!" (Chuck E. Cheese's - Sarah's version only exists in Opposite World!)

For whatever reason, Jacob add's a /n/ sound to words that start with the letter "u." So, naturally, Sarah does now too. For example, we live in N-utah, and Jacob likes to n-use markers to color with.

Sarah's pretty funny because she's always competing with Jacob for talking time and attention. However, she can't always think of something interesting to say, so she just makes up words.
"That other sock is 'skippy.'"
"I don't want to play with that doll because it's 'plucky.'"
(Okay. Of course I agree . . . whatever, Darling!)

And, this isn't scaffolding, but it's hilarious. On a couple of occasions when Jacob's in a bad mood I'll hear, "I HATE going potty! I'm NEVER going potty again!" (Yeah . . . good luck with that! It's not even worth my time to argue. I just say, "Okay.")

Oh, how I love their endearing little ways about them. One day they'll be obnoxious teenagers and their words won't be quite so cute. I hope they never grow up!

2 comments:

mahina said...

amanda, i love your commentary! and i can totally hear you saying many of those things, especially your last comment...."yeah...good luck with that!" i love "hearing" your voice in your words, it takes me back to when we were roommates! i miss you!

Audrey said...

So it's called scaffolding! Hannah does this all the time and it's so hilarious! My new favorite is when she calls something she doesn't like 'humpy and bozy'. Isn't it great that we get hear so many funny things everyday :)