Friday, January 23, 2009

Wimpy Single Mom

Brandon's been out of town for most of the week and doesn't get home until tomorrow. I'm so lucky because he doesn't travel for work except this one training a year, and he goes on his yearly deer hunt. Only TWO times a year is he gone from me. And because he's rarely home in the evenings due to church and work meetings I should be use to not having him around. Come over here and tell that to the half a cheesecake and box of cookies I've eaten. I definitely take comfort in food! Now I still have more time to kill before he comes home and I'm out of baked goods! What will I do? I guess I better get baking! If my buttons are popping off my dress on Sunday, you'll know why. It's a good thing he only is gone twice a year, or I'd be significantly larger than I already am!

I grew up with a dad that travels A LOT, and I watch many other moms with traveling husbands. Then there are single moms that NEVER get a break . . . even on the weekends! I take my hat off to you ladies. I couldn't do it! I'M A WIMP! My patience with the kids runs thin quickly. Their silliness and hyperactivity is just more than I can take! (And I have to say, they've actually been pretty good - no MAJOR trauma - which further proves that I'M A WIMP!) Just knowing there will be no daddy here for even 30 minutes in the evening to break up our day makes living very anti-climatic.

And then there's night time. I lay awake with my super-sensitive hearing turned way up listening to every tiny sound terrified that someone will break into our home while Brandon's away. I'm sure watching murder mystery TV shows before bed doesn't help my imagination much. It's just another example of why I'M A WIMP!

I'm so grateful to Brandon and the good, patient husband that he is. (Now you're getting a glimpse of what he has to deal with!) I don't know what I'd do without him! Hurry home, Daddy! The Boogey Man is breaking down the door trying to take away Mommy's cheesecake while the children run around screaming their heads off!

3 comments:

mahina said...

you crack me up! i am with you, though! mitch doesn't leave me very often, but when he does i feel like i barely survive! there is nothing to look forward to during the day if he's not coming home to give me a break, so i just look very forward to the girls bedtime!

hang in there! he's almost home! and you had better go eat the rest of the cheesecake before the boogey man does, that would be a waste!

Kimber said...

I think I gained five pounds this week. I am truly an emotional eater. I was completely out of chocolate when Brett got home. Thank goodness he brought some home for me when he went to get Anne's prescription!

Asherbie said...

Hilarious posting. Traveling husbands = no fun. Hang in there, it'll make you appreciate Brandon more when he gets back!