Thursday, January 8, 2009

Our Human Pinball

As a parent, you just gotta love the times when your children outgrow their naps. Not only is it sad to not have that quiet little break anymore during the day, but until the child adjusts to no naps he/she is constantly overtired! When Jacob outgrew all of his naps, he was just moody and tired all the time. Sarah, however, has been totally different. She has literally become a human pinball! She's always been a girl that loves to bounce and jump. That was the first thing she taught herself to do as soon as she could walk, even before running. Jumping! Which was well before children are suppose to be able to jump developmentally. And ya know how doctors and researchers say that many children are misdiagnosed with ADHD simply because of lack of sleep? Well, I can totally see why. Anyone who didn't know Sarah would think she has ADHD right now. I've even wondered myself in my exhausted moments! She is actually bouncing off the walls, and getting the bumps and bruises to prove it! The other morning she came into our bedroom, and Brandon and I watched her bounce from my dresser, to Brandon's dresser, to the bed, off my nightstand and finally land on the floor all within about 3 seconds. Then she rolled over and ran out of the room. We just couldn't keep ourselves from laughing at our little human pinball. Yesterday, as I came to pick her up from her music class, her teacher told all the parents that the kids were a little hyper in class . . . but she was looking DIRECTLY at me smiling. I apologized for Sarah's disruptive bounciness as I watched her continue to bounce off the walls and other children! Oh my, what's a parent to do but wait for the phase to pass. So if any of you see us at church or store and Sarah seems increasingly hyper or obnoxious, please don't think we're bad parents! Feel sorry for us! We're pretty worn out!

2 comments:

mahina said...

that is awesome! i can't imagine you with a hyper child! you have always been so undercontrol and never hyper! but then again we have kale'a and don't know where she came from because mitch and i are more reserved and mellow than this child will ever be! just goes to show that they all come with their own little personalities regardless of the personalities of their parents!

Asherbie said...

I just love this picture!!!