Tuesday I took Jacob to the pediatrician's office for his 5 year check up! I decided to make a "mommy/son" date of it so he could look forward to it instead of just fearing the shots. It was such a delightful morning for the 2 of us! I felt myself trying not to laugh as he so seriously listened to the nurse and doctor, trying hard to do all of the things he was asked to do. And, since he's our oldest and we've never done this before, I couldn't help but feel a little proud as he passed everything with flying colors! Our doctor is pretty thorough, so Jacob was quizzed on his letters, numbers, concept of numbers, shapes and colors. Then there was the vision and hearing tests, walking, jumping, running, getting dressed, etc., etc. I know it's not much, but I thought to myself, "Hmm, I taught him all of that. I must be doing a decent job after all!"
Then the dreaded moment came for the shots! Oh, the torture! I could almost SEE his heartbeat racing! First was the finger prick to check his iron levels. I watched his little face register surprise that it hurt a little more than he had expected. Then the 4 shots. I have to hand it to the nurse, she explained everything to him really nicely so Jacob knew exactly what to expect. Jacob put on a brave face! But then when it was all done he quietly put his head on my shoulder and silently cried for a minute. His good news came when the nurse told him he didn't have to have shots again until he was 12! TWELVE? 7 more birthday?! Jacob was beaming! That's a lifetime away for a 5 year old!
After that we went out for lunch at Dylan's where his favorite corn dogs are made! I even let him get the spaceship lunch sack with a toy inside. The lady at the register handed him a purple (his favorite color, how did she know?) balloon. Having Mommy's undivided attention, eating corn dogs, fries, lemonade and your favorite fry sauce -- it doesn't get any better than that in Jacob's eyes! And I have to agree! I love my little soon-to-be-kindergartner!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
This is the cutest entry, Man. What a fun memory Jacob will have of his date with his mom... great job! It gives me great ideas for the future, too! :)
Post a Comment