Friday, October 23, 2009

Disappointments

Once a month Jacob has show-n-tell in Kindergarten! I have diligently written it on my calendar for each month so I won't forget. Well, today I forgot. I often hear moms complain about how by the time child #3 or #4 get busy in lots of activities they start forgetting things, like maybe show-n-tell. I'm only on child #1! How sad is that for me? Poor Jonah has no hope at all!

After I responsibly packed Jacob's fund-raiser packet into his backpack and dropped him off to school on time I was feeling pretty on top of things. Later in the morning I read my calendar and saw the note to myself for show-n-tell. I agonized for the rest of the morning. Will he be the only one without show-n-tell? Will he sit at his desk crying? How disappointed will he be in me for letting him down? I could run something down, but show-in-tell could already be over and I'm still in my pajamas! Is my pride more important?

Then I started thinking that it's okay for kids to have disappointing moments in their lives. It builds character, right? And how grateful I am that something as simple as forgetting show-n-tell is as hard as it gets for my son. He's not hungry, homeless, or scared like so many other children in this world.

As I went to pick up Jacob I braced myself for the worst. I imagined him running out to me sobbing out of embarrassment. Jacob walked out to me and he said he had the worst day ever . . . because he fell down at recess. "What? What about show-n-tell," I asked him! "I'm so sorry I forgot!" "It's okay, Mom. It was no big deal. Lots of kids didn't bring show-n-tell today. Their moms forgot too."

Whew! Crisis averted! If lots of other moms forgot too, maybe I'm in good company! I'm glad Jacob has some skills to deal with a little disappointment in his life.

3 comments:

Circe said...

Been there...over and over!

Emma said...

Can you forget something you never knew? Because in that case, James' mom is off the hook.

Actually, this morning James said, "I wonder if today is show-and-tell ... Nah, it's not."

Asherbie said...

So sweet. Love that kid.