Dear Sick Person With the Stomach Flu,
I just wanted to let you know that even though you felt that it was important to attend the Halloween party and/or church last weekend while you were sick, many mothers with little children really wish that you hadn't. Too many times you feel that your presence is necessary or you just don't want to miss out, so you come anyway with all of your germs. Then you share. For you to go throw up in a bowl or a toilet is no big deal, uncomfortable yes, but you leave no mess. Well, let me tell you what it's been like for me and several other mothers I know. I spent HOURS last night mopping up the table, the chairs, the floor, cleaning out clothes, and bathing children from all of the vomit. Little children don't know to run to the toilet, it just comes up where they happen to be sitting. Then I spent hours trying to decide if I was sick because of the nausea I felt from all of the clean up. I also have cracked and bleeding hands from all of the hand washing, chemicals and cleaning I've endured. I had to break my 3-year old's heart by telling her she couldn't dress up in her princess costume today. She missed her party at music class, one she's been looking forward to for a month (which is a VERY long time for a 3-year old). Now I'm anticipating the rest of the family will come down with the illness in time for Halloween, something we all have been anticipating for TWO months. I also had to turn away a friend who needed help watching her child because of my sick child. And this is just my story. I know of at least 3 other families that have similar complaints. So next time you feel your presence is so important, please take a moment to reflect what it was like to have little children and the strain you may be putting on others. We all love you, but I would really have prefered NOT to see you for just this one weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
oh..... I am sooo glad we dodged that bullet!
Welcome to the blogging world!!
I love your blog! You're a great writer, and the writing and pictures and format are verry entertaining! So sorry about the stomach flu. Yikes! It's hard not to get every single germ when your kids are that little. Kids are germfests even when they're well! Good luck!
AMEN. AND AMEN.
We've started a baby-sitting round-robin in my ward, and when I proposed a kind of health code , one of the moms said, "I don't care too much about illness, I figure they're going to get it all anyway." I wasn't sure how to respond directly to her, but I can tell you that my husband got an earful. Her boy just entered nursery, so I think I'll just keep my mouth shut and watch as she decides she DOES care after all.
Post a Comment