Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Christmas Ornaments

Every Christmas for my whole life my mom has bought me a new Christmas ornament for the year. When I left home, she gave me the box of ornaments I had accumulated. The she continued to buy me, my husband and kids ornaments every year. I love pulling out those ornaments every year and telling my kids about how I got these ornaments when I was just a little girl. They love to hear the stories. Many of my mom's ornaments have been from Hallmark because she loves their series ornaments. Some from when I was a little girl she made herself when money was tight. She even bought me some Christopher Radko ornaments the last couple of years. My Christmas tree may not have a designer look with coordinating ornaments, but I love my childhood, teenage and young adult ornaments that hang on our "homey" tree. This year, after 32 Christmases, my mom passed the torch to me. It's expensive to buy ornaments for all of your 5 children, their spouses and their offspring! Today I took the kids ornament shopping. I went straight to the Hallmark store and threatened them NOT TO TOUCH ANYTHING!!! Sarah was looking at the darling little princess, Minnie Mouse and Barbie ornaments so hard that her eyeballs were nearly touching the ornaments. But they were so good and didn't touch anything! Whew! What a relief to get out of there without having to buy extra broken ornaments. So I let the kids choose.

I chose this one for Jonah's 1st Christmas!


Sarah chose this darling ballerina!

And Jacob chose this very cheap (yeah!) snow globe ornament, but of course it says "Jacob" and not "Christine."

And we got a Santa ornament for free! I love Christmas traditions! I'm happy to be continuing on where my mom left off. I can't wait to send my kids off with their box of ornaments when they're grown. This year is our first Christmas at our own house. I'm so excited to spend it together, mix Brandon's and my traditions, and start some of our own!

1 comment:

Asherbie said...

I'm so glad Mom did that... I love looking at our tree now with so many happy memories. Your kids will love you for it, too.