Thursday, January 8, 2009

Our Christmas

December is such a busy time of year! I don't know that I want to write about everything that we did. (But be forewarned, this is long and for family journaling!) However, I think the kids were sufficiently able to feel of the holiday cheer. We went went to the Kaysville Light Parade with cousins, saw the Willard lights with Nanny, delivered neighbor gifts, made Christmas sugar cookies, went to Christmas parties, Christmas shopping, and several Christmas dinners for Brandon and me (which means lots of fun babysitters for the kids, $$$=AAAHH).

On the Monday before Christmas, the kids, with all their cousins, acted out the nativity. Jacob was a shepherd, Sarah was an angel, and I threw some cow-print fabric over Jonah so he could crawl around pretending to be a cow. It's pretty amusing to watch and quite hectic!

Then Brandon sang "Star of Bethlehem" for his mom, which is her favorite, and he did a beautiful job, of course!

To top off the evening, Nanny read a couple of great Christmas stories while the children sat at her feet spell-bound. It's pretty cute!

This year was our FIRST Christmas in our OWN HOME! Can you believe it? We had such a great time! Christmas Eve we went with Nanny and Papa to Benihana's for dinner. I'm thinking that sounds like a great new tradition! No cooking involved, and the kids were absolutely fascinated with the chef! I have to admit, I was pretty worried the meal would last too long and the kids wouldn't like the food. It could have been a disaster! Instead, they loved watching the chef juggle his knives and spatulas, create an onion volcano, and toss shrimp onto their plates and in his hat. In fact, Jacob now plays restaurant while pretending to be the chef throwing things around! As for the food, well, the hostess fixed up some chopsticks for the kids with a paper in between and rubber band so they could learn to use them. They were so consumed with using the chopsticks, it didn't matter what food we put in front of them, they ate whatever just to use the chopsticks!

After dinner we went home and opened their gifts from me . . . Christmas pajamas! They were so excited and looked pretty cute in their matching jammies. That's definitely something we'll do again next year! Then we got ready for bed, put out treats for Santa and his reindeer, read a few Christmas stories with Nanny and Papa, and off to bed they went! Nanny and Papa stayed a little longer to play games with Brandon and me, then they went home too.

Brandon and I had a great time setting up for Santa . . . until I realized I didn't have the needed batteries for Jacob's remote control car! Panic! Who uses 9 volt batteries, anyway? What store will be open on Christmas Eve at 10:30 p.m.? I'll tell you now, it wasn't Albertson's or Bowman's, but Walgreens . . . where I found other parents there buying forgotten batteries for their own children's toys. Walgreens could have tripled their prices on batteries that night and any parent would have paid the amount just to see their child play with the beloved new toy Christmas morning!Just as we were about to crawl into bed, about 11:30 p.m., Jacob wakes up literally shaking with excitement! It took us another hour to get him to go to bed!

Christmas morning we finally went out about 7:30 a.m., after the kids had patiently been waiting for TWO HOURS (I can't believe it myself) while Brandon and I stalled for more sleep (I know, good luck getting that to happen again). I have to say, it was a pretty perfect Christmas this year! Brandon completely (and well over the budget) spoiled me this year with a new vacuum. I also got a beautiful picture of Christ, snow boots and some clothes. Brandon got a ladder, snow boots and clothes, and Crest Whitestrips (poor Brandon). Jacob got a remote control car, a camera, and a clock for his wall. Sarah got a dollhouse, stroller, and a ballerina music box. Jonah got a Busy Ball Popper, xylophone, and a new laundry hamper (that's what happens when you're too young to know better).

After opening presents we had my family's traditional Christmas breakfast of bacon, eggs, and cinnamon rolls. I have to admit, I shamed my mother by not making the rolls from scratch! I just simply ran out of time! But Rhodes frozen rolls saved the day at our house . . . and they were pretty good too!
We had a wonderful, relaxing day with each other! Nanny and Papa stopped by so the kids could show off their new stuff. Then they got their traditional gift, which I love, from Nanny and Papa! A new book for each child, and a gift certificate for an experience. I have to hand it to them, my in-law's realized long ago that the kids don't need more stuff. And since they live close enough to all their grandchildren to do it, they take each of their 14 grandchildren on an outing sometime during the year. That's quite a scheduling feat! They make it a really special day for the kids giving them Nanny and Papa's undivided attention for that time, and taking them to dinner also. Jonah gets to go to the zoo, Sarah to the circus, and Jacob to his choice of the rodeo, the dinosaur museum, or the fish farm! They can't wait!

I just love Christmas! We feel so blessed to have so much, most of all our health, our safety, and each other!

3 comments:

mahina said...

that sounds wonderful! i can't believe that you were in bed before midnight on christmas eve. it's always way past then when we crawl, exhausted into bed! however, our girls don't get up as early as your kids did! i think we started christmas at around 8:45.

i saw the exact same pj's on another utah friends blog today! haha!

Jamie Hyatt said...

What a wonderful month, isn't it great to spend Christmas morning at home. As far as little Sarah I am possitive that no one thinks your bad parents, but I know what you mean, I think that all the time as Dallin has his many moments. It's always great to hear your family news.

Kimber said...

I didn't know you went to Benihana!!! I just may have skipped out on my Dad's family party if we had been invited, too. Love the pajamas.