Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Am I A Bad Mother?

We enrolled Jacob in his first season of baseball this year. Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but it's SO BORING!!! Am I a bad mother for thinking that? I find myself sending Daddy to the games alone to support Jacob because I just end up chasing Sarah and Jonah around the fields because they're bored too. Plus, let's face it, for the whole hour the game lasts Jacob is only up to bat 2 sometimes 3 times (depending on how many innings they play). And each time he's up to bat only lasts 1 to 2 minutes! The rest of the time he's playing around with his teammates in the "dug-out" or swatting at imaginary flies in the outfield, picking dandelions, or even rolling around in the grass. Last night a ball landed right in front of his feet. But he wasn't prepared to pick it up and throw it to first base because he was too busy pulling his gum out into a long piece of string! He had to wind his gum back up, put it in his mouth, THEN throw the ball to 1st base! Soccer and basketball were much more fast-paced and entertaining to watch. I don't know, but this could be his last and only season of baseball just out of sheer sanity on my part. I'm going to have 3 boys! That's a LOT of games over the years to sit through. What kinds of unsupportive, selfish mom am I? Sorry kids, but if Mom isn't happy, nobody's happy!

5 comments:

Jennie said...

Oh see! I totally disagree. I have loved it. I am the weird mom who can't stand soccer. :) To me, that is the worst.

I guess part of the reason I like it so much though is because it is a good fit for my boys. 1) It is the only team type sport Jackson will even attempt to play. 2) Collin is vertically challenged and is small in stature. So... he is not really a dominating force in a lot of other sports. Baseball though... it may just be his gig though.

I understand where you are coming from. I'll miss seeing ya on the field. BTW, just finished Seedfolk and really liked it.

Circe said...

Lol! I have to agree with Jennie. I hate soccer! Freestone never gets anywhere near the ball! At least in baseball he has a turn! I love that you don't feel compelled to sit through every game. Having an audience isn't mandatory for every moment of childhood. We have to teach them that they are not necessarily the center of the universe at all times! I'm all for activities that are drop off/pick up. Am I a bad mom too? :)

duncandoings said...

We had an identical experience w/ Brent when he was little--only substitute dandelions w/ red clay! I chalked some of it up to age too--though admittedly, we haven't tried baseball/T-ball since! You're great to be letting him do anything! We cut out all extra activities, besides piano, for my whole pregnancy!! (and still haven't restarted 4 months later!)

Asherbie said...

I love the rolling in the grass. That's just awesome. Wish I could be there to see that.

Justin said...

Well I can tell you two things for sure:

1) It's because he's wearing a Sox uniform. If it were a Cubs uniform, the game would be much better attended and more exciting.

2) Film the game. Jacob's future wife will love to watch and laugh at those moments where Jacob has his own game going on in outfield - I know Amy did!